- Please cite: Langmead B, Trapnell C, Pop M, Salzberg SL. Ultrafast and memory-efficient alignment of short DNA sequences to the human genome. Genome Biol 10:R25.
- For release updates, subscribe to the mailing list.
All indexes are for assemblies, not contigs. Unplaced or unlocalized sequences and alternate haplotype assemblies are excluded.
Some unzip programs cannot handle archives >2 GB. If you have problems downloading or unzipping a >2 GB index, try downloading in two parts.
Check .zip file integrity with MD5s.
- Langmead B, Trapnell C, Pop M, Salzberg SL. Ultrafast and memory-efficient alignment of short DNA sequences to the human genome. Genome Biology 10:R25.
- Langmead B, Schatz M, Lin J, Pop M, Salzberg SL. Searching for SNPs with cloud computing. Genome Biology 10:R134.
- Trapnell C, Pachter L, Salzberg SL, TopHat: discovering splice junctions with RNA-Seq. Bioinformatics 2009 25(9):1105-1111.
Tools that use Bowtie (or Bowtie 2):
- mRNA sequencing:
- Myrna (paper)
- TopHat, TopHat 2 (paper)
- Cufflinks (paper)
- Trinity (paper)
- MapSplice (paper)
- SpliceSeq (paper)
- RNASEQR (paper)
- RSEM (paper)
- GENE-counter (paper)
- RobiNA (paper)
- ExpressionPlot (paper)
- RUM (paper)
- BowStrap (paper)
- ContextMap (paper)
- eXpress (paper)
- ReXpress (paper)
- TrueSight (paper)
- PASTA (paper)
- BSmooth (paper)
- Bismark (paper)
- MethylCoder (paper)
- BS-Seeker (paper)
- B-SOLANA (paper)
- Assembly and scaffolding:
- Galaxy (paper)
- Chipster (paper)
- Unipro UGENE (paper)
- InSilico DB (paper)
- LONI Pipeline (paper)
- Structural variants:
- Gene fusion:
- TopHat Fusion (paper)
- deFuse (paper)
- Comrad (paper)
- ShortFuse (paper)
- FusionHunter (paper)
- SnowShoes-FD (paper)
- FusionFinder (paper)
- Chimerascan (paper)
- FusionQ (paper)
- Small RNA:
- isomiRID (paper)
- Deqor v3 (paper)
- NEXT-RNAi (design of genome-wide RNAi libraries)
- miREvo (paper)
- miRanalyzer (paper)
- MapMi (paper)
- shortran (paper)
- miRDeep2 (paper)
- YM500 (paper)
- starBase (paper)
- PADUA (alignment of DNA to protein databases; paper)
- SeqTrimMap (sequential trimming and mapping; paper)
- mPrime (primer design)
- EMIGRE (ribosomal genes reconstruction; paper)
- TAPDANCE (identifies CISs in transposon junction fragment insertion data; paper)
- Paparazzi (reconstruction of viral genomes from small RNA reads; paper)
- CaPSID (pathogen detection; paper)
- EuPathDB (eukaryotic pathogen detection; paper)
OS distributions with Bowtie packages
Commercial products using Bowtie:
Published protocols using Bowtie 1 and/or 2:
- Wang S, et al. Target analysis by integration of transcriptome and ChIP-seq data with BETA. Nature Protocols.
- Hisano M, et al. Genome-wide chromatin analysis in mature mouse and human spermatozoa. Nature Protocols.
- Becker AH, et al. Selective ribosome profiling as a tool for studying the interaction of chaperones and targeting factors with nascent polypeptide chains and ribosomes. Nature Protocols.
- Anders S, et al. Count-based differential expression analysis of RNA sequencing data using R and Bioconductor. Nature Protocols.
- Wan Y, et al. Genome-wide mapping of RNA structure using nuclease digestion and high-throughput sequencing. Nature Protocols.
- Haas BJ, et al. De novo transcript sequence reconstruction from RNA-seq using the Trinity platform for reference generation and analysis. Nature Protocols.
- Ingolia NT, et al. Genome-Wide Annotation and Quantitation of Translation by Ribosome Profiling. Current Protocols in Molecular Biology.
- Baslan T, et al. Genome-wide copy number analysis of single cells. Nature Protocols.
- Trapnell C, et al. Differential gene and transcript expression analysis of RNA-seq experiments with TopHat and Cufflinks. Nature Protocols.
- Ingolia NT, et al. The ribosome profiling strategy for monitoring translation in vivo by deep sequencing of ribosome-protected mRNA fragments. Nature Protocols.
- Bardet AF, et al. A computational pipeline for comparative ChIP-seq analyses. Nature Protocols.
- Simon JS, et al. Using formaldehyde-assisted isolation of regulatory elements (FAIRE) to isolate active regulatory DNA. Nature Protocols.
- Goodman AL, et al. Identifying microbial fitness determinants by insertion sequencing using genome-wide transposon mutant libraries. Nature Protocols.
- Fanelli M, et al. Chromatin immunoprecipitation and high-throughput sequencing from paraffin-embedded pathology tissue. Nature Protocols.
- Christodoulou DC, et al.Quantification of Gene Transcripts with Deep Sequencing Analysis of Gene Expression (DSAGE) Using 1 to 2 micrograms Total RNA. Current Protocols in Molecular Biology.